As I approached my 40th birthday, I started noticing fine lines and wrinkles appearing on my face that just wouldn’t go away with my usual skin care routine. I was surprised at the effect they had on my psyche. I wanted to find an effective anti-aging treatment that didn’t involve needles or surgery.
Back then, the only people doing red lght therapy were dentists and veterinarians.
Now that light emitting diodes (LEDs) have brought the prices down so much, I have a huge choice of red light therapies for wrinkles and lines.
These devices stimulate collagen and elastin production to plump and tighten the skin.
They smooth out skin tone by reducing inflammation and redness.
As a nice “side effect,” they even reduce the size and pigment of both acne scars and melasma (hyperpigmentation).
We live in the future, and it’s grand.
In this article, I’ll share my experience using different red light therapy devices designed specifically to treat wrinkles and other signs of skin aging. You’ll learn about how these handy at-home therapies work, their benefits over in-office laser treatments, and see reviews of the top wrinkle-fighting red light therapy products on the market today.
If you’re considering red light therapy for smoothing out aging skin, this guide covers everything you need to know to choose the right device for addressing your wrinkle concerns. Let’s get started shining some red light on those pesky wrinkles!
Best Red Light Therapy Face Mask for Wrinkles
For effective wrinkle and fine line reduction, the CurrentBody Skin LED Light Therapy Mask is a scientifically-proven device that offers an effective solution for skin rejuvenation and wrinkle reduction.
It’s made from a medical-grade soft and conforming silicone that feels good to the touch.
The CurrentBody uses clinically-tested LED light therapy, a non-invasive treatment option known for stimulating collagen and elastin production, improving blood circulation, and reducing inflammation.
The result of these actions is that you have healthier and younger-looking skin.
The CurrentBody mask is hands-free and portable so that you can browse the internet while doing your daily facial.
Expect noticeable improvements in wrinkles and fine lines within 4 weeks.
The face mask is $378
CurrentBody Mask Pros
CurrentBody Mask Cons
How to Use the CurrentBody Mask
- Use once a day for 10 minutes for at least 4 weeks.
- Use at any time of day (but use in the morning if you have insomnia to avoid the light bothering your circadian rhythm)
- Use before adding lotions and makeup
- Wrap the mask on the face
- Use for 10 minutes for each session.
Best Medical-Grade Red Light Therapy for Wrinkles
I think the Visum Light is the best-targeted, medical-grade red light therapy. It is specifically designed to deliver red light therapy to the targeted area with precision and effectiveness.
The Visum Light includes 7 preset settings — with one specifically for pain relief — as well as 7 Nogier Frequencies, a specialized pulsation feature, in addition to pulsation in the 10 Hz and 40 Hz frequencies. The latter allows you to use the Visum Light for dementia and brain injury therapy, as these are the exact wavelengths and pulsation settings used in successful red light therapy studies.
The Visum’s power is unparalleled, giving you a full treatment in one to two minutes. Although this is an LED light therapy device, it has the power of a laser.
Visum’s advanced technology ensures that the light is delivered evenly and consistently, providing maximum results in a shorter period of time. For those seeking a safe and effective treatment for a variety of skin conditions, the Visum Light is the ideal choice for targeted red light therapy.
How to Use the Visum Light for Acne or Wrinkles
- Note the time of day. Some people are affected by light at night. If you’re worried about insomnia, use the light in the morning or afternoon.
- Clean the skin. Use light therapy before adding lotions and makeup.
- Press the Power and then press the “P” button 5 times to dial in the skin treatment program.
- Hold the light just at the skin. It’s okay if the light touches the skin, but you’re aiming for a painting motion back and forth across the surface.
- “Paint” the target area. Slowly pass the light back and forth over the target area.
- Time the session. Use the light for 2 minutes per area, per day.
The MitoPRO 300 is a tabletop at-home red light therapy device.
It emits two red and two infrared wavelengths of light (630 nm, 660 nm, 830 nm, and 860 nm).
The 300 model is part of the MitoPRO family from Mito Red Light. The family includes the MitoPRO 750 and 1500 as well.
- The MitoPRO 300 is 11 inches tall
- The MitoPRO 750 is 22 inches tall
- The MitoPRO 1500 is 42 inches tall
The height makes a difference if you want to treat more than the face. The 300 targets your face, the 750 targets about half the body, and the 1500 targets the full front or full back of the body.
The MitoPRO is $349, but use coupon code RED for 5% off, making the price $331.55.
MitoPRO 300 Pros
MitoPRO 300 Cons
How to Use the MitoPRO 300
- Use once a day
- Use at any time of day but use in the morning if you have issues with insomnia (the bright light can cause circadian rhythm issues; alternatively, use dark eye goggles in the evening and it will help you sleep.
- Use before adding lotions and makeup
- Take a photo in the same lighting every day to measure your results
- Use a ruler to measure 6 inches to your target skin (head, neck, etc.)
- Turn on the power
- Use for 3 minutes for each session, build up to as many as 20 minutes (10 minutes is usually fine but some people push the limits. Do not do more than 20 minutes a session).
How Does Red Light Therapy Reduce Wrinkles?
The best red light therapies for wrinkles use the same wavelengths of light as those used in successful scientific studies.
You should see significant reductions in lines, folds, and wrinkles.
The results you should expect from your new light therapy tool include significant reductions in:
Notice I did not say that the device will reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
Red light therapy is not a coverup.
It’s a combination of cell turnover with new collagen, and elastin that replaces the wrinkles.
The makeup companies have to use that language (appearance of wrinkles) because their solutions are a “hands faster than the eye” coverup.
And you should expect a significant increase in:
Aging is natural but leaves its marks, the most obvious of which are wrinkles. They mark time with lines and folds in the forehead, around the eyes and mouth, and on the neck.
Makeup and skincare help some, but they’re nothing compared to the wrinkle-erasing powers of red light therapy.
This is because LED light of the right wavelengths rebuilds collagen and elastin, which don’t “cover up” wrinkles, they actually replace them.